Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Mirror


Recently (since Sept. 2013) there has been quite a few changes and restructuring at my work. I have taken on quite a bit more work and a much more progressive and active roll in the company's new restructuring.


I have been met with quite a bit of animosity from some co-workers, and in some cases outright confrontations. Some I can understand.

Two individuals were laid-off and I had absorbed their rolls. I can understand their resentment. It doesn't make it any easier, but at least I can understand it.


 But I have been met with animosity and even to some degree hostility by certain others. The way I see it is that in this new direction there is only 3 directions one can actively follow:
  1. Embrace the changes. Step up to plate.
  2. Status Quo. Continue doing your same job and nothing more or nothing new. (Let's see where that goes...), or
  3. Resist change. Become an obstacle. Actively or passively sabotage.
Those who have been 'difficult' belong to the 2nd or 3rd mindset.

But still, that nevertheless didn't sit well with me. (I'm not the only one who has  absorbed new rolls or belongs to the 1st 'position').  I've struggled with the desire to do something about these individuals, but it has always struck me as wrong and out of place.

Recently I stumbled across an old book I read by the Taoist Master Ni, and it was there that I coincidentally found his wisdom and an answer to this mystery.
"...there is the subtle law that rights all wrongs. You can only live your own life honestly and let people be aware by seeing the mirror of their ugliness. You do not need to attack people or correct them by attacking..."
At work you will be judged by your superiors and co-workers. Right or wrong, it will inevitably happen.

At work, you can only be judged with two things: your work ethic and your workmanship. Anything else is inconsequential or petty.


These two things are a mirror.
What these people hate isn't the mirror.
They hate and fear the reflection they see within it.
There is no need to coerce (take action).



I don't know if that makes any easiler, but it helped me out greatly. It was the answer and wisdom I was looking for.

No comments: